Thursday, August 5, 2010

Walker vs Fledgling

“Like women all over the world, I had mastered the art of transforming myself into what I
thought each man would fall in love with.”

Not at all in control of each affair, but very much in control of the masks I put on for each man,”

“I learned how much of myself to reveal”

“Instinctively I knew I wanted more pleasure and more freedom, and I intuitively knew I deserved and could get both.”

“When Bryan said I was too black, I straightened my hair. When Ray said I was too young, I added four years. For Miles I was a young virgin, nervous and giggly. For Jacob I was a self-assured student of modern art. For Robbie I was a club girl. I was Kevin's steady.”

“I am proud that I did not stay in relationships when I couldn't grow. I moved on when the rest of me would emerge physically or intellectually and say, Enough!”

The beginning of this article confuses me because I feel Walker cannot find or doesn’t know who she really is. What led her to question who she is? She doesn’t change because she is unhappy, she changes because the men are unhappy is what she lays out. To me that statement alone portrays her weakness. Only in the beginning of the article does Walker show this weakness. I want to say that her early years are when she is fighting to rid her mind of “social rights and wrongs,” that were battered into all our minds as we grew up. The comfort and boldness from the bedroom doesn’t follow us into the world usually because we see how people are looking at us. By the end of the article I believe Walker completely. I am liberated from the catholic church at last.

I believe that the message being put across is beautiful and strong and it makes me proud to be a person and a human in modern day. I'm touched by what Walker says and it’s liberating to anyone who can grasp the concept. Yes, I believe that social taboo’s and government and religious” no no’s” are set in place to do nothing but keep people in line and make a profit. I also agree with Walker on the point that a person should have the right to their body without ignorant people and religious nuts stamping a stigma on them. I believe that this article relates to the protagonist of fledging, Shori, in many ways. For instance, the book itself goes head to head with sexual taboos known worldwide and by the middle of the novel Butler casts of the shackles of social guidelines and somehow we don’t see the relationships between characters as mortal sins and act that turn your stomach any longer. The fight to win over the beauty of sex and sexuality is won many times over in “Fledgling” and is beautifully depicted as strength in the Walker article.

1 comment:

  1. You make very good points. I can see the weakness that you say Walker portrays. However, I don't really think that "weakness" is a good word. For me, I took her change as a sort of morphing necessary to discover herself better.

    I too feel "liberated" by the end of the article.

    ReplyDelete